Tuesday, December 6, 2011

KT2Thailand - A Semester of Teaching & Missions!

Dear Friends & Family,

With your help, I will be leaving January 8, 2012 for northern Thailand, near the border of Burma, to work/serve/teach at a children's home operated by Life Impact International (Please check out their website to learn more about who they are, what they do and where I will be serving.)

With your help, I was able to minister in Cambodia last summer for two weeks, taking the gospel to jungle villages and ministering to young girls rescued from the sex trade in the capital city. God really touched my heart on that trip! I had felt a call to missions several years before, but on my trip to Cambodia, God confirmed it.

Now I have the opportunity to combine the two things most dear to my heart, and to which I believe God has called me - teaching and missions!

I will be teaching English to the 55 plus children at this mission compound, as well as teaching them and showing them the love of God and the value they have in Jesus Christ. In addition to these children who have been rescued from the slave and sex trade, there are also more than 15 babies, 15 teenagers and 5 young women who have also been rescued. The compound consists of several homes and cottages, as well as an Orchard and Fish Farm. The children receive an education and are taught a trade through working in the orchard or fish farm. Most importantly, these children learn about God - that God loves them - and that they have great value through Jesus.

I will spend the semester in Thailand, then return home in time to teach the summer session at Happy Hands, a pre-school for deaf and special needs children in Tulsa, OK, before returning to Evangel University for my Senior year.

The Education Department at Evangel has been so supportive of my trip to Thailand! I will take several classes online while in Thailand, then make up the rest of the semester's classes over the summer. They will also count teaching at Happy Hands this summer as my practicum which I will miss by being in Thailand this semester. I will also not lose any of my grants, scholarships or other financial aid.

Life Impact International is 10 year old ministry and is well established, but does not have the funds to pay me to come and to teach, nor are they set up to take designated gifts on my behalf, so my church, God's Shining Light, will act as my sponsor and forwarding agent.

The trip will cost approximately $4000 - about $2800 for round-trip airfare and $400 a month, for the three months I will be in Thailand.

While it would be nice to raise all the funds prior to leaving, my immediate need is for $1400 to purchase my ticket to Thailand, which needs to be done ASAP!

Since I do not have a firm return date, I am only purchasing a one way ticket at this time, I will need at least $600 toward my living expenses before I leave.

I would ask you first and foremost to keep me in your prayers - that God will provide the necessary funds for this trip - and for both my safety and effectiveness while I am on the mission field in Thailand!

If God lays in on your heart to give, you can either mail a check to:

God's Shining Light Church
PO Box 690675
Tulsa, OK 74169
(Please note on the check it is for "support for Katie's Mission trip")

Or

You can go to www,gslchurch.com - click on the Donate Now icon on the "God's Shining Light" page and donate using a credit or debit card or via electronic personal or business check. On the donation page, you will be able to designate your gift to "Katie's Mission Trip."


All donations are tax-deductible when given through God's Shining Light Church!

The funding benchmarks are:
ASAP - $1400 (plane ticket to Thailand
January 1st - $600 (living expenses in Thailand)
February 1st - $600 (living expenses in Thailand)
March 1st - $1400 (plane ticket home)
As I mentioned, I need to purchase the plane ticket to Thailand ASAP!
Any financial gift you feel God leading you to give would be greatly appreciated and, above all, I would ask for our support in prayer, first, that I’ll be able to make the trip and, second, that God will use me in a great way, for His glory and purpose!

Thank you so much for your prayers and for any financial gift you are able to provide.

Katie Rutherford

"HOW, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And HOW can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And HOW can they hear without someone preaching to them? And HOW can they preach unless they are sent?" (Romans 10:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment