Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Rescued

Just a few short months ago, I could never have imagined as a 21 year old, I would be living in Thailand, alone, raising a baby! Nor would I have thought I'd want nothing more than to stay here with this little boy.

About three weeks ago, I was asked if I could take care of our latest rescue ( I wrote about him in my last post.) He is a 14 month old baby, who was abandoned at Mae Tao Clinic, at which I work on a weekly basis. The staff at the clinic says he was born at around 24 weeks and weighed only .8 kilos (about 1.5 lbs.) He was born at the clinic to a mother with 8 children. After 3 months of life with his family, he was brought back to the clinic, at death's door. His family just disappeared, abandoning this tiny, sick baby. He was very, very sick and extremely malnourished. He was immediately placed on oxygen 24/7, because without it he would turn blue from lack of oxygen in his blood. Actually, that is how he got his name - he would turn so blue, the doctors and nurses at the clinic began calling him "Sky Blue." Two months later, he had not gotten any better, and although he tested negative, they put him on a tuberculosis treatment. Altogether, he spent almost a year at the clinic, but slowly and  surly he began to grow stronger.

When we picked him up, as he was released from the clinic and into the custody of the children's home, Sky Blue weighed 5 kilos (about 10.5 lbs.) Being so small, it was decided he needed 24/7 care, so he was placed in my care - and it has been a joy - a sleep deprived joy, but a joy nonetheless.

He is such a happy little boy, and although slight in body, has such a strong spirit. He can sit up and walk with just a little help. Since he has been in my care, he has gained over one pound, started eating more than just formula and cereal, grown a head full of hair, has started trying to crawl, his first tooth is coming in - and he has discovered his tongue, which he sticks out for all who ask!

God has so blessed me through this experience - it has been amazing! I'm not quite sure how I will say, "Goodbye." In two weeks, I will be leaving this amazing boy, what has become my family here, my students and my friends at the clinic.

I can't believe this is mission trip is coming to an end! However, God has been reminding me that he brings us from glory to glory, and leaving Thailand isn't the end, but a new beginning. Please keep me, Sky Blue and the other children in prayer as we go through this transition.

Also, please be in prayer about my finances, I have $400 to $500 in living expenses which need to be paid before I leave - and no money with which to pay them. Also, my plane ticket home is $1300 and I need to leave on July 13.

If you are able to help financially, you may make a tax-deductible donation with a credit/debit card or via electronic check, by going to http://www.gslchurch.com  then to the God's Shining Light page and clicking on "DonateNow." Please make sure you designate your gift "KT2Thailand"

Thank you so much for your prayers and your support, without your help none of the wonderful work God has done here through me would have been possible!

Serving Him!

Katie





No comments:

Post a Comment